The IB Middle Years Program
Welcome to the MYP page at Deledda International School. The Middle Years Programme is designed to meet the educational requirements of students aged 11 to 16.
At Deledda International School we aim to develop lifelong learners with the necessary attitudes to adapt in a rapidly changing world. Our students are encouraged to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers through a program that emphasizes intellectual challenge, and foster them to make connections between the academic and the real world.
Our students are taught how to develop their skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement – essential qualities for young people who are becoming global leaders.
The Middle Years Program Curriculum
The MYP consists of eight subject groups: language acquisition, language and literature, individuals and societies, sciences, mathematics, arts, physical and health education, and design.
The MYP focuses on “learning how to learn” through the systematic development of approaches to learning (ATL) skills for communication, collaboration, organization, self-management, reflection, research, informational literacy, media literacy, creative and critical thinking, and transfer of learning. It also fosters intercultural understanding and global engagement—essential qualities for young people today.
Interdisciplinary teaching and learning builds a connected curriculum that addresses the developmental needs of students and prepares them for further academic study and life in an increasingly interconnected world.
At year 5 (MYP5) students are required to complete a Personal Project: a student-centred practical exploration in which students consolidate their learning throughout the programme.
(Adapted from “Myp-brief Personal Project 2015” Ibo.org. IBO, 2015. Web. 28 Apr. 2019)
At Deledda International School we offer the following subjects:
- Subject Group Language and Literature: Italian A and English A (for native speakers only)
- Subject Group Language Acquisition: Italian B, English B, Chinese B, Spanish B, French B, German B
- Subject Group Individual and Societies: History and Geography (MYP 1-2-3)
- Subject Group Sciences: Sciences (MYP 1-2-3) , Biology (MYP4-5), Chemistry (MYP4-5), Physics (MYP4-5)
- Subject Group Mathematics: Mathematics
- Subject Group Arts: Music (MYP 1-2-3), Visual Arts
- Subject Group Physical and Health Education: Physical and Health Education
- Subject Group Design: Design
For further information on the IB Middle Years Programme visit: www.ibo.org/myp/.